Recipients of the 11th annual Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award for University of Michigan staff were celebrated Wednesday at a breakfast ceremony at the Michigan League.
The event was opened by Jeffrey Frumkin, associate vice provost and interim senior director of the Office for Institutional Equity, and included comments by Katrina Wade-Golden, deputy chief diversity officer.
“This is a time when we are able to reflect and appreciate the great diversity, equity and inclusion work done on our campus,” said Wade-Golden. “At the core of this work is shifting our culture for the better. This takes all of us working together and we are so grateful for all of the effort of our staff community.”
Short videos provided by nominators were shown, which added a personal touch to each award presentation.
The 10 individual winners received $1,000 each. Five teams also received $2,500 each. The prizes are to be used toward professional development activities. The award ceremony was closed with comments from Rich Holcomb, associate vice president for human resources.
This award is made possible by the Office of the Provost and University Human Resources to celebrate progress toward creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
- Erica Ackerman — Information Technology Services
- Marybeth Bauer — STEM Success Communities
- Julie Catanzarite — LSA Psychology
- Jenny Crawford —Health Behavior and Health Education
- Ebony Ellis — Center for Global and Intercultural Study
- Carmen Quinonez — Erb Institute
- Taryn Petryk — Stephen M. Ross School of Business
- Will Sherry — Spectrum Center
- Javier Solorzano — Multi Ethnic Student Affairs
- Kate Zheng — International Center
- Asian Pacific Islander Desi/American Staff Association (APID/A) Core Leadership Team
- Academic Services Office — Mechanical Engineering
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Taskforce — Shared Services Center
- Michigan Dining
- Student IDEA Board — Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Office of the Provost