MHealthy is recruiting staff and faculty members through the end of August to serve as MHealthy Champions. These volunteers help support a healthier workplace culture within their department, unit or school.
Currently, nearly 600 employees across the university’s three campuses and Michigan Medicine volunteer as Champions.
“I was inspired to become an MHealthy Champion because I wanted to stay motivated and hold myself accountable for making healthy choices. What better way than to lead than by example,” says Phyllis Taylor, senior program coordinator at the Alumni Association, who became a Champion in 2015.
Champions serve a two-year term and spend approximately two hours per month on their responsibilities, including:
• Working with an MHealthy wellness coordinator to tailor health and wellness activities that best fit the needs of their coworkers.
• Helping to achieve their department or unit’s health and well-being goals.
• Communicating opportunities and encourage participation in healthy activities.
• Gaining universitywide recognition for their areas, while also being recognized personally for their contributions.
• Applying for well-being grants to support their areas’ interests and needs.
“If you are enthusiastic about health and well-being, like to positively motivate others, and want to support and encourage participation in health-related programs and services, we encourage you to apply to become a Champion,” says Leola Hearing, project specialist for MHealthy. “Champions get support from MHealthy’s staff, other Champions, and their unit’s leadership to build a healthier work environment.”
“I’m proud to see the healthy culture grow in my area,” says Taylor. “For example, this year over 40 people signed up for our Active U team, more than doubling our participation from two years ago. Also, to help my colleagues add movement into their workday and reenergize, I organized a walking club that gets together a couple of times a week during lunch.”
Anyone who is interested in becoming an MHealthy Champion should apply by Aug. 31. MHealthy will send an email to the candidate’s supervisor asking to approve participation in the program.