It could be the team support and sense of community, or being accountable for meeting a weekly exercise goal, or the friendly competition among units. Whatever the reason, each year thousands of U-M faculty and staff return to Active U Autumn and get moving with their co-workers and friends.
Registration is open through Sept. 16 for MHealthy’s eight-week physical activity challenge. Tracking exercise minutes starts on Sept. 17.
Participants set their own exercise-minute goal based on their current amount of activity. Each week, they aim to reach or exceed their goal.
Program highlights include:
- Individual or team participation — Sign up, then choose whether to stay an individual participant, or join or create a team.
- Friendly team competition — Join or create a team with co-workers, U-M friends, or a spouse or other qualified adult. Team rosters must be set by Sept. 16.
- Online tracker — Log in on a computer or mobile device to easily log exercise minutes and see weekly progress.
- Sync a fitness device or app — The tracker supports a number of wearable activity devices and free apps. Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin, Withings, Misfit, MapMyWalk and RunKeeper are some of those supported by the program.
- Donate to charity — This year’s participant donations will go toward the Michigan Mittens for Chemotherapy Patients Project.
- Opportunity to win prizes — Participants who meet their exercise-minute goal in all eight weeks will have a chance to win an Amazon gift card.
Active U Autumn is open to U-M employees, students, retirees, and employees’ spouses and other qualified adults.