Eight university areas are being recognized with MHealthy Ergonomics Awards for independently implementing ergonomic solutions in their workplace.
Winning areas have decreased risk factors and reduced or prevented employee discomfort by adding or modifying equipment or redesigning work processes.
Gold Level winners
• Plant Operations — Implemented several major improvements, including loading dock improvements and installing ramps for safer trash container access and material handling.
• Construction Services — Developed and installed a removable ladder system for the unit’s dump truck.
Silver Level winners
• Home Care Services MedEQUIP Operations Team — Raised equipment storage to a safer height.
• Transplant Call Center — Installed height-adjustable workstations and tested chairs prior to purchasing.
• Office of Research — Installed height-adjustable desks.
• Dearborn Facilities Management — Implemented buddy system for material handling.
• Neurology — Installed height-adjustable computer workstations.
Bronze Level winner
• Interior Design, Facilities Planning and Development — Incorporated staff input and referenced design guidelines in their processes.
“Congratulations to this year’s winning units for being champions in creating a safer workplace,” says Suzanne Bade, MHealthy Ergonomics Awareness Team chair and senior ergonomics consultant. “These awards help raise awareness around the importance of ergonomic risk reduction and improving employee comfort.”
Nominations for department-level Ergonomics Awards are accepted each spring. Gold Level winners receive a special plaque and a celebration sponsored by MHealthy. Silver Level winners are recognized with a certificate of recognition, and Bronze Level winners receive a letter of commendation.
The MHealthy Ergonomics Awareness Team continues to accept nominations for its Individual Ergo Hero Award, which recognizes employees who are independently reducing the chance of discomfort or other ergonomic risk for themselves or others by using recommended postures, work strategies or equipment.
Any employee can nominate another employee to be an Ergo Hero by submitting a short online form. Nomination of supervisors and managers who support their staff also is encouraged. Recipients are recognized with an Ergo Hero lapel pin and a congratulatory certificate.