The 39th annual Blood Battle against Ohio State is underway and runs through Nov. 25. All potential donors, from those who have never donated blood before to those who donate every year, are asked to join the fight to save lives across the state and country.
- Follow on Twitter at @BloodBattleUofM using the hashtags #BleedMaizeandBlue and #BloodBattle2020
In the annual contest, both schools compete to see which one can collect more donated blood. Appointments to donate can be made at bloodbattle.org, or at redcrossblood.org using the sponsor code “goblue.”
Due to COVID-19, appointments are highly recommended, and walk-ins will only be permitted as space permits. New COVID-related safety policies have been put in place and a list can be found at bloodbattle.org/covid.
All presenting donors will receive a Blood Battle T-shirt and coupon for Washtenaw Dairy while supplies last. Donors also will be entered into a raffle for gift cards to local businesses and other prizes.
The American Red Cross asks donors to use Rapid Pass, which allows donors to complete their donation quicker by completing some steps before arriving at the blood drive. Visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass for more information.
Due to blood donation eligibility requirements set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the American Red Cross, not everyone will be able to donate. However, all of the U-M drives aim to provide an inclusive atmosphere. Learn more about blood donation requirements at bloodbattle.org/eligibility.
Donors are advised to eat iron-rich foods and drink plenty of water before they donate blood.
Remaining campus blood drives:
- Nov. 11 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 242 Church, 648 S. Wagner Road – open area
- Nov. 11 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m., King of Kings Church, 2685 Packard St. – multipurpose room
- Nov. 12 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 242 Church, 648 S. Wagner Road – open area
- Nov. 12 — 8 a.m.-2 p.m., American Red Cross Donation Center, 4624 Packard St. – donor room
- Nov. 12 — 2 p.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Union – Pendleton Room
- Nov. 13 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 242 Church, 648 S. Wagner Road – open area
- Nov. 13 — 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Kellogg Eye Center – Conference Room 610
- Nov. 13 — 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Michigan League – Hussey Room
- Nov. 16 — 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Pierpont Commons – East Room
- Nov. 16 — 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., U-M Hospital – Towsley Center Lobby*
- Nov. 17 — 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Union – Ballroom
- Nov. 18 — 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Union – Ballroom
- Nov. 19 — 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Union – Ballroom
- Nov. 20 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Michigan League – Ballroom
- Nov. 24 — 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., U-M Hospital – Towsley Center Lobby*
- Nov. 25 — 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., U-M Hospital – Towsley Center Lobby*
* U-M Hospital blood drives are currently closed to the public due to COVID-19 restrictions. Michigan Medicine employees or medical students with Mcards may donate at these blood drives.