Provost Laurie K. McCauley has named a 14-member advisory committee to assist the search for the University of Michigan’s next dean of the School of Information.
The committee of faculty, staff, students and alumni has been tasked with conducting a broad search and recommending an unranked slate of candidates to the provost.
The next dean will succeed Thomas A. Finholt, who stepped down as dean to serve as vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs effective Aug. 15. Elizabeth Yakel, senior associate dean for academic affairs, has served as interim dean.
In an email to colleagues announcing the search, McCauley said, “I know you are all excited about these next steps for the school and I look forward to your engagement during this early phase.”
The advisory committee will be chaired by Barry Fishman, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor; professor of information, UMSI; professor of education, School of Education; and professor, Digital Studies Institute, LSA.
In addition to Fishman, the committee includes:
- Yan Chen, Daniel Kahneman Collegiate Professor of Information, professor of information, UMSI; research professor in the Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research.
- Roger Ehrenberg, alumnus of the Stephen M. Ross School of Business; past advisory board member, UMSI.
- Patricia Garcia, assistant professor of information, UMSI; assistant professor in the Digital Studies Institute, LSA.
- Eric Gilbert, John Derby Evans Endowed Professor of Information, associate professor of information, UMSI; associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science, College of Engineering.
- Devon Keen, director of inclusion, equity and outreach, UMSI.
- Jonathan Massey, dean and professor of architecture, A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning.
- Kwame Robinson, Ph.D. candidate, graduate student instructor and graduate student research assistant, UMSI.
- Daniel Romero, associate professor of information, UMSI; associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science, CoE; associate professor of complex systems, LSA.
- Sarita Schoenebeck, associate professor of information, UMSI.
- Sarah Stupak, undergraduate student, UMSI; student leader in the School of Information Bachelors Association.
- Chris Teplovs, lecturer IV in information and research investigator, UMSI.
- Tiffany Veinot, associate dean for faculty and professor of information, UMSI; professor of health behavior and health education, School of Public Health.
- Veronica Wilkerson-Johnson, alumna and advisory board member for UMSI.
The committee is partnering with Heidrick and Struggles search firm, and Heather Mozes, project manager in the Office of the Provost, will provide staff support.
The committee’s first meeting was Nov. 4. To nominate prospective candidates or ask questions of the committee, email email@example.com. For more information about the school, visit si.umich.edu.