November 23, 2015
Topic: Human Resources
For the second consecutive year, the University of Michigan has been named one of the Healthiest 100 Workplaces in America. The award recognizes employers that are committed to employee health and exceptional corporate wellness programming.
The recognition resulted from a yearlong assessment process. The university was again selected as one of southeast Michigan's healthiest employers by Healthiest Employers LLC, which led to consideration for the 2015 Healthiest 100.
U-M placed 68th out of the top 100 U.S. employers for 2015. More than 5,000 employers applied for the award.
Award applicants were evaluated across six key categories: vision, culture and engagement, learning, expertise, metrics and technology.
U-M was selected based on:
• Progress toward reducing the level of health risk in the employee population.
• Achieving high participation in health and well-being programs like Active U and MHealthy Rewards.
• Active engagement of university leadership in the MHealthy initiative.
• Engaging employees through its network of 400-plus volunteer MHealthy Champions.
• Using technology and social media to engage more participants and build community.
• The high proportion of employees who take steps to maintain or improve their health, including completing preventive exams.
• Addressing employee high-risk areas such stress management.
• Its commitment to and excellence in quality assurance, evaluation and continuous improvement.
The recognition comes from Healthiest Employers LLC, an analytics firm focused on population health and corporate wellness.