President Mark Schlissel has appointed a 17-member advisory committee and launched the search for the University of Michigan’s next vice president for student life.
The committee, chaired by Alec Gallimore, dean of the College of Engineering and professor of engineering and aerospace engineering, will welcome input from the campus community in the search for the successor to E. Royster Harper, who is retiring in January.
“As we begin the search for a new vice president for student life, I invite all members of our community, particularly students, to share their views and ideas on what qualities we should be looking for as we seek to fill this important position,” Schlissel said.
“The vice president serves as a senior campus executive and oversees the many offices and services that support Ann Arbor students’ education, needs and aspirations beyond the classroom.”
Members of the campus community will be able to offer input on the search during two public town halls, set for 4-5 p.m. Oct. 21 in the Multipurpose Room of the Trotter Multicultural Center, and 1:30-2:30 p.m. Oct. 23 in Forum Hall at Palmer Commons.
In addition to the town halls, the committee will solicit input on the search by meeting with various constituency groups across campus and through a survey specifically for students.
As with other searches for U-M executive officers, the selection process will remain confidential until Schlissel makes his recommendation to the Board of Regents.
In addition to Gallimore, the advisory committee includes:
- Heba Abdallah, member of the Society of Women Engineers and Arab Student Association, and student in the College of Engineering.
- Gina Cervetti, chair of the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs’ Student Relations Advisory Committee, and associate professor of education in the School of Education.
- Sally Churchill, vice president and secretary of the university.
- Glenn Eden, alumnus and executive vice president at Weber Shandwick.
- Taylor Fegan, president of the Panhellenic Council, member of the Panhellenic Peer Educators Sexual Violence Empowerment and Education and student in LSA.
- Kedra Ishop, vice provost for enrollment management.
- Hayden Jackson, Rackham representative on Central Student Government and student in LSA.
- Shanna Katz Kattari, assistant professor of social work in the School of Social Work, and of women’s studies in LSA.
- Deanna Mabry, associate director for design in Architecture, Engineering and Construction.
- Preeti Malani, chief health officer and professor of internal medicine at the Medical School.
- Tim McKay, associate dean of undergraduate education, and professor of physics and astronomy in LSA, and of education in the School of Education.
- Taryn Petryk, director of diversity and inclusion in the Stephen M. Ross School of Business.
- Catalina Ormsby, associate director of the Center for Educational Outreach.
- Rob Rademacher, executive senior associate athletic director and chief operating officer of athletics.
- Robert Sellers, vice provost for equity and inclusion and chief diversity officer.
- Eddie Washington Jr., executive director of the Division of Public Safety and Security.
Stephen Yaros, project manager, will provide staff support in the Office of the President. Mark Hall from the executive search firm Spelman Johnson has been retained to help with the search.
Committee members ask that ideas, feedback and nominations be directed to input-VPStudentLifeSearch@umich.edu. Further inquiries regarding nominations and applications can be directed by email to email@example.com.