Police arrest three suspects in shooting death of medical student


Ann Arbor Police announced late Thursday that three suspects have been arrested in connection with the July shooting death of Medical School student Paul DeWolf.

Paul DeWolf
​(Photo by D.C. Goings)

DeWolf, 25, who was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, was found dead July 24 in his apartment at the Phi Rho Sigma medical fraternity in the 200 block of North Ingalls Street. An autopsy revealed that he died from a gunshot wound. No firearm was recovered from the scene and his death is being investigated as a homicide.

Police said the suspects have not yet been charged and detectives are continuing their investigation. The department said more information regarding the suspects’ identities would be released once they have been arraigned.

President Mary Sue Coleman said in a statement, “We are grateful for the determined work of the Ann Arbor Police Department and the University of Michigan Police Department in identifying and arresting suspects in this senseless act of violence.

“We hope today’s developments provide some solace to Paul DeWolf’s family and friends, who remain in our thoughts. We will now join the greater Ann Arbor community in awaiting the outcome of the judicial process in this case.” 

In a press release, Ann Arbor Police Chief John Seto said, “Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the DeWolf Family. We would also like to thank Mr. and Mrs. DeWolf for their support of the Ann Arbor Police Department throughout this investigation. Their strength and their faith have inspired all who have worked on this case.”

Ann Arbor Police said no other suspects are believed to be outstanding and there does not appear to be any affiliation between the suspects and Paul DeWolf, U-M or the Air Force.

“The loss of Paul DeWolf was a terrible shock and tragedy for our entire Medical School community,” said a statement issued on behalf of the U-M Health System, “and we are heartened by this development and thankful for the diligent work of the U-M Police and the Ann Arbor Police Department.”

Seto said the entire Ann Arbor Police Department contributed in some manner to this investigation and he specifically recognized the AAPD Detective Bureau, U-M Police, the U.S. Marshal’s Service, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the FBI and the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office.

“We very much appreciate the diligent and persistent efforts of the officers in the Ann Arbor Police Department who tirelessly continued to seek justice for our community,” said U-M Police Chief Joseph Piersante. “We are extremely pleased with this development, which will help bring closure to this tragedy for our community and the DeWolf family. 

“While we all should remain vigilant for our personal safety, thanks to the efforts of these officers, we know that our streets are a little bit safer and that justice will be served.”


Leave a comment

Commenting is closed for this article. Please read our comment guidelines for more information.