A $10.5 million project will provide a new facility with more space for the university’s Edward Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning, which is currently housed in the Madelon Pound House.
The 7,500-square-foot house will be demolished and replaced with a larger facility in the same location.
The new 11,000-square-foot facility, which was approved Feb. 17 by the Board of Regents, will include engagement rooms, a resource library, student organization space, support and administration spaces.
Built in 1898, the Madelon Pound House, 1024 Hill St., was acquired by the university in 1951. In alignment with the university’s naming policy, the current building name of Madelon Pound will continue to be honored within the new space, as approved by the Facilities Naming Steering Committee.
Design of the project is scheduled to begin immediately, and a construction schedule is expected once the university seeks approval of schematic design.
The architectural firm of SmithGroup Inc. will design the project and the project is expected to provide an average of nine on-site construction jobs. The new facility will be financed by donor funds.