Donna L. Hayward, associate dean of libraries, has been appointed the University of Michigan’s interim university librarian and dean of libraries, effective July 1.
She will serve in the interim role until a new university librarian and dean of libraries is selected at the conclusion of a national search that is now being launched.
Her appointment was approved May 19 by the Board of Regents. She was recommended for the appointment by former Provost Susan M. Collins.
“Ms. Hayward’s experience working closely with the entire library administration has positioned her well to assume this interim role. I am grateful that she is willing to undertake this new responsibility during a period of transition,” Collins said.
James Hilton announced in January that he would step down as university librarian and dean of libraries while continuing to serve as vice provost for academic innovation after nearly a decade leading the university libraries.
“Donna Hayward brings important qualities — knowledge of our libraries and the broader field, experience and a collaborative style — to the interim university librarian and dean of libraries role. Her understanding of the critical services that libraries provide and her skill in aligning resources to support them are of great value as she takes on this role,” said Provost Laurie K. McCauley.
As associate dean of libraries, Hayward has led the collaborative development of a strategic framework that provides structure to the library’s efforts to better serve the university’s 21st century research, learning and teaching activities.
In recent years, she has worked to transform library spaces to better serve U-M students, faculty, staff and the community. Other recent initiatives include shoring up digital preservation efforts and developing a collection services strategy to enable informed decision-making, now and in the future.
“I’ve dedicated my professional life to the U-M libraries since arriving on campus as a graduate student more than two decades ago. I’m honored to assume this leadership responsibility on behalf of the library and the U-M community, until a new university librarian and dean of libraries joins us,” Hayward said.
Hayward began her U-M Library career in 2001 after earning a master’s degree in information from U-M. She earlier completed a bachelor’s degree in music education and business at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell.
From 2001-03, she served as an assistant librarian, from 2003-11 as information studies subject specialist and Hatcher Graduate Library reference coordinator, and from 2011-14 as the executive associate director. Between 2013 and 2014, she served in an acting capacity as the deputy director and then director of Michigan Publishing. In 2014, she was appointed associate university librarian for budget and planning, and associate dean in 2016.
As an assistant librarian motivated by a personal commitment to student success, Hayward built a strong foundation of service expertise in the areas of reference, consultation, instruction and program development. In more than 20 years at U-M, her series of leadership roles has given her the opportunity to extend her commitment to campus into other areas.
The provost also has appointed a search advisory committee to assist with the search for a new university librarian and dean of libraries. It will be led by Susan Juster, the Rhys Isaac Collegiate Professor of History in LSA.
Other members of the search advisory committee are:
- Jack Bernard, associate general counsel.
- Kate Cagney, director of the Institute for Social Research; research professor, Survey Research Center and Population Studies Center; professor of sociology, LSA.
- Marna Clowney-Robinson, associate librarian for library operations.
- Manan Desai, associate professor of American culture and director of the Asian/Pacific Islander American Studies Program, LSA.
- Paul Erickson, the Randolph G. Adams Director of the William L. Clements Library; adjunct professor of history, LSA.
- Liangyu Fu, senior associate librarian and Chinese studies librarian.
- Marieka Kaye, librarian and head of conservation and book repair.
- Shannon Moreno, offsite shelving supervisor, library operations.
- Alexa Pearce, associate university librarian for research.
- Mimi Owusu, graduate student, School of Education.
- Jennifer Poteat, capital campaign chair for the University Libraries.
- Christopher Quintana, associate professor of education, School of Education.
- Anusha Santhapur, undergraduate student, LSA.
- Charles Watkinson, associate university librarian for publishing.
- Jamaine M. Wourman, library operations service support manager.
- Elizabeth Yakel, senior associate dean for academic affairs and the C. Olivia Frost Collegiate Professor of Information, School of Information.
The search advisory committee may be reached by email at UL-Dean-SAC@umich.edu.