The university will invest $49 million to transform the Dennison Building into academic centers and institute offices.
A complete renovation of the 106,000-square-foot, 10-story, high-rise section of the building was approved by the Board of Regents during its meeting Thursday.
Plans call for the relocation of the International Institute and its associated centers for international studies from the School of Social Work building to the Dennison Building.
In addition to the International Institute, other LSA centers and units with a primary focus on international engagement also will be relocated to the Dennison Building.
After relocating the Department of Astronomy to West Hall, the university will repurpose the classrooms to create spaces that will facilitate faculty collaboration and enhance opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students.
Renovated space will be organized efficiently with sharing of staff, space and core facilities among units housed in the building.
An additional 1,500 square feet of space will be added by enclosing an overhang area on the ground floor. The project also will address deferred maintenance in the renovated areas.
Funding will be provided from LSA resources and investment proceeds. The architectural firm of Diamond Schmitt Architects will design the project.
The project is expected to provide an average of 62 on-site construction jobs. The university will return with a construction schedule when it seeks approval of schematic design.
Dennison opened in 1963 as the Physics and Astronomy Building, and was designed by Albert Kahn Associates of Detroit. The Board of Regents named the building for David M. Dennison, professor of theoretical physics (1927-1970) and chair of the Department of Physics (1955-1964) in 1976.