Provost Laurie McCauley has named an 18-member advisory committee to assist with the search for a new dean for the College of Engineering.
The faculty, staff, students and alumni on the committee will engage with stakeholders across the university as they conduct a broad search and recommend an unranked slate of candidates to the provost.
The next dean will replace Alec Gallimore, who stepped down to become the provost at Duke University. Steven L. Ceccio, a professor of mechanical engineering and of naval architecture and marine engineering, has been serving as interim dean since June 1.
The advisory committee will be chaired by Elizabeth A. Holm, Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Professor of Engineering and professor and chair of materials science and engineering in the College of Engineering. The other members are:
- Matt Blank, student administration manager, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, CoE.
- Eunshin Byon, associate professor of industrial and operations engineering, and Richard Wilson Faculty Scholar.
- Cindy Chestek, associate professor of biomedical engineering, CoE and Medical School; associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science and of robotics, CoE.
- Anne Curzan, Geneva Smitherman Collegiate Professor of English Language and Literature, Linguistics and Education, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, professor of English language and literature and of linguistics, and dean, LSA; and professor of education, Marsal Family School of Education.
- Natasha Dacic, graduate student, Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering, CoE.
- Reetuparna Das, associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science, CoE.
- Carol Flannagan, research professor, director of the Center for the Management of Information for Safe and Sustainable Transportation, U-M Transportation Research Institute.
- Kelly Hanson, academic program director of technical communication and lecturer III in technical communication, CoE.
- Carolyn Kuranz, director of the Center for Laboratory Astrophysics; associate professor of nuclear engineering and radiological sciences, CoE.
- Stephane Lafortune, N. Harris McClamroch Collegiate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and professor of electrical engineering and computer science, CoE.
- Sophia Lee, undergraduate student, chemical engineering.
- Joaquim R.R.A. Martins, Pauline M. Sherman Collegiate Professor of Aerospace Engineering, professor of aerospace engineering, and of naval architecture and marine engineering, CoE.
- Lyonel Milton, interim executive director for culture, community and equity, CoE.
- Chinedum Okwudire, associate professor of mechanical engineering, and of integrative systems and design, Miller Faculty Scholar, and special assistant to the dean for manufacturing, CoE.
- Jing Sun, Michael G. Parsons Collegiate Professor of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, professor of naval architecture and marine engineering, of electrical engineering and computer science, and of mechanical engineering, CoE.
- Tia Sutton Sysounthorn, alumna, aerospace engineering.
- Alan Taub, Robert H. Lurie Professor of Engineering, professor of materials science and engineering, of mechanical engineering, of macromolecular science and engineering, and director of the Electric Vehicle Center, CoE.
In an email announcing the search committee, McCauley said she is looking forward to the selection of a new College of Engineering dean who will “further enhance the college’s already truly outstanding research and education and ‘people-first’ approach.”
For questions or more information, email the College of Engineering Dean Search Committee chair at CoEfirstname.lastname@example.org.