September 30, 2016
Provost Martha Pollack has appointed an advisory committee to assist with the search for the inaugural dean of a new school at the University of Michigan that will address global sustainability challenges at the intersection of environment and society. The search process is underway.
Allen Burton, professor of natural resources and environment at the School of Natural Resources and the Environment and professor of earth and environmental sciences in LSA, will chair the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates.
The search for the inaugural dean of the new type of school comes as the university pursues major changes to its sustainability education structure to strengthen its position as a leader in interdisciplinary education.
"Our vision is for a more integrated, collaborative, innovative and dynamic set of programs that will magnify the impact of the faculty, staff and student work in this important area," Pollack explains.
Additional members of the search advisory committee include:
• Joe Arvai, Max McGraw Professor of Sustainable Enterprise and professor of natural resources and environment, SNRE, and professor of business administration, Stephen M. Ross School of Business.
• Bill Banzhaf, alumnus and SNRE Visiting Committee member.
• Joel Blum, Jerry Keeler Distinguished Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, John D. MacArthur Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, and professor of earth and environmental sciences, and ecology and evolutionary biology, LSA.
• John Callewaert, director of the Emerging Opportunities Program, Graham Sustainability Institute; and lecturer, LSA.
• Jessica Fogel, chair of the Department of Dance and professor of dance, School of Music Theatre & Dance.
• Alec Gallimore, Robert J. Vlasic Dean of Engineering, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Professor of Engineering, and professor of aerospace engineering, College of Engineering.
• Deborah Goldberg, Elzada U. Clover Collegiate Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, LSA.
• Ines Ibanez, associate professor of natural resources and environment, SNRE; and associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, LSA.
• Jeff Keeler, director of budget and administration, SNRE.
• Maria Carmen de Mello Lemos, associate dean for research and professor of natural resources and environment, SNRE.
• Joan Nassauer, professor of landscape architecture, SNRE.
• Paolo Squatriti, professor of history, and romance languages, LSA.
• Dorceta Taylor, James E. Crowfoot Collegiate Professor of Environmental Justice, professor of environmental sociology, SNRE, and professor of Program in the Environment, LSA.
• Teona Williams, graduate student, master's program, SNRE.
The university has engaged the national search firm of Isaacson, Miller to assist with the search. To nominate prospective candidates or ask questions of the committee chair, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about the new school and changes to the sustainability education structure visit: publicaffairs.vpcomm.umich.edu/environmentsustainability-education-structure/.