Provost Martin A. Philbert has appointed an advisory committee in the search for a new dean of the School of Public Health. The search process begins Tuesday.
Philbert stepped down as SPH dean in September to become provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at the University of Michigan. He served as SPH dean for six years.
Cathleen M. Connell, professor of health behavior and health education, currently serves as interim dean of SPH.
John Meeker, senior associate dean for research, and professor of environmental health science, SPH, is chairing the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates to the provost.
Additional members of the search committee include:
• Leah Abrams, a Ph.D. student in health management and policy, and who earned a Master of Public Health degree in epidemiology in 2017 at SPH.
• K. Rivet Amico, research associate professor, and adjunct lecturer health behavior and health education, SPH.
• Ana Baylin, associate professor of nutritional sciences, epidemiology, environmental health sciences and global public health, SPH.
• Cleopatra Howard Caldwell, professor and chair of health behavior and health education, director of the Center for Research on Ethnicity, Culture and Health, and co-associate director of the Program for Research on Black Americans, SPH.
• Ellen Crissey, director of finance and administration, SPH.
• J. Ricardo Guzman, executive consultant to the CEO, Community Health and Social Services Center, Detroit.
• Patricia Hurn, professor of nursing and dean of the School of Nursing; professor of molecular, cellular and developmental biology, LSA.
• Lynda Lisabeth, professor of epidemiology and research professor of neurology, SPH.
• Preeti Malani, chief health officer and professor of internal medicine, Medical School.
• Bhramar Mukherjee, John D. Kalbfleisch Collegiate Professor of Biostatistics, associate chair of biostatistics, and professor of epidemiology and global public health, SPH.
• Sade Richardson, Master of Public Health student in health behavior and health education, SPH.
• Andrew Ryan, associate professor of health management and policy, SPH.
• Marianne Udow-Phillips, executive director of the Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation, and lecturer in health management and policy, SPH.
In an email sent to faculty and staff at the school in June, Interim Provost Paul N. Courant wrote that Philbert “worked hard to enhance the school’s reputation nationally and globally as a leader in interdisciplinary research and learning. Under his leadership, the school has strengthened its multidisciplinary collaborations across the university and advanced educational partnerships in the state of Michigan.”