Michael J. Solomon, dean of the Rackham Graduate School and vice provost for academic affairs – graduate studies, has appointed an advisory committee in the search for a new director of the William L. Clements Library. The search is underway.
J. Kevin Graffagnino will step down as director of the Clements Library at the end of 2019.
“The mission of the Clements Library is to collect and preserve original source material for the study of America’s early history and culture,” Solomon said in an email to the Clements Library community in July.
“As director, Kevin Graffagnino has led the library in the stewardship of its collections through physical transformation of research space, digital access to materials, and increased engagement with students, researchers, and the general public.”
Mark Clague, associate dean for academic and student affairs, and associate professor of music, School of Music, Theatre & Dance, is chairing the committee. The group is charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates.
Additional committee members include:
• Nancy Bartlett, archivist and associate director, Bentley Historical Library.
• Shneen Coldiron, business manager, William L. Clements Library.
• David Hancock, professor of history, LSA.
• Hunter Harris, doctoral candidate, Department of History, LSA.
• Kristin Hass, associate professor of American culture, faculty coordinator of the Humanities Collaboratory, LSA.
• James Hilton, vice provost for academic innovation, Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs; dean of libraries and university librarian, University Library; Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, professor of information, School of Information; and faculty associate, Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research.
• Martha S. Jones, Society of Black Alumni Presidential Professor and professor of history, Johns Hopkins University; member, Clements Library Associates Board of Governors.
• Mary Pedley, assistant curator of maps, William L. Clements Library.
• Richard Pohrt, Jr., member, Clements Library Associates Board of Governors.
• Michael Witgen, associate professor of American culture, associate professor of history, and director of the Native American Studies Program, LSA.
• Elizabeth Yakel, professor of information, senior associate dean for academic affairs, School of Information.
• Jason Young, associate professor of history, LSA.