Old School: U-M in history

Campus activities: Enjoying winter

The U-M Ski Club is pictured outside a university bus, circa 1950. The club continues today, offering members ski outings, a movie of the month and other social events to roughly 200 members. The club recently changed its name to the Ski and Snowboard Club, as both skiers and snowboarders are welcome on trips.

This week in history (60 years ago)

Photo by Courtesy Bentley Historical Library.

The Michigan Daily reported on Feb. 22, 1950, that a national coal strike was driving local coal dealers to pay $3 to $4 more a ton for coal from non-union mines or from coal operators who had made satisfactory contracts with unions. Meanwhile, coal stockpiles reportedly were low and expected to be wiped out by week’s end, according to several wholesalers.

Readers share memories:

Have a memory of U-M in the 1950s to share? Go to the Old School/U-M History feature on the University Record Web site, ur.umich.edu.


Leave a comment

Commenting is closed for this article. Please read our comment guidelines for more information.