Old school: U-M in history

Landmark: Intramural Sports Building, 606 E. Hoover (c. 1935)

Inspired by Fielding Yost’s enthusiasm and support of athletics for all, this building designed by architects Smith, Hinchman & Grylls opened in October 1928 and was the first university-owned structure in the nation devoted primarily to intramural sports.

This week in history (31 years ago):

Gov. William Milliken included a 9.5 percent increase ($13.9 million) in state appropriations for UM-Ann Arbor in his 1980-81 budget recommendations. Proposed increases for the 14 other state-supported colleges ranged from 6.8 to 9 percent. — University Record archives

Readers share memories:

Have a memory of the Intramural Sports Building to share? Leave a comment below.


Leave a comment

Commenting is closed for this article. Please read our comment guidelines for more information.