This week in history (31 years ago)
An original union that opened on the site in November 1907 was torn down in 1916 and plans for a new building were prepared. The building was completed in 1919 for more than $1.15 million. The four-story building featured a pool in the basement and a library on the second floor (both are gone). Two new wings to the south were completed in 1936 and 1938. At 2 a.m. on Oct. 14, 1960, presidential candidate John Kennedy in a speech from the Union steps announced his intention to create a Peace Corps.
— University Record archives
The Board of Regents approved new leadership and a revitalization plan for the Michigan Union, as operations authority was transferred from a volunteer board of directors to the Office of Student Services. The Board of Regents also agreed to convert all but 12 of the Union’s 109 hotel rooms to student housing.
Readers share memories:
Have a memory of the Michigan Union to share? Please send it to the Record via the comments box below.