The post-Civil War era was one of rapid social and technological changes, and the University of Michigan during that time was no exception. The last quarter of the 19th century saw U-M expand in size and scope as it embraced scientific research and began its evolution into a contemporary university.
A portrait of John Dewey as a young professor of philosophy and psychology at U-M. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
U-M's third president, James Burrill Angell, was born Jan. 7, 1829. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
President Robben Fleming stands amidst a student demonstration on June 18, 1969. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
A chorus for the Sophomore Cabaret pose with umbrellas in 1929. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
(Photo courtesy of Bentley Historical Library)
Students walk through the leafy Diag on a sunny autumn day in 1952. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
The most complete ice age mastodon skeleton found in Michigan since the 1940s was recovered this month from the state's Thumb region by a University of Michigan-led team that included Tuscola County teachers who volunteered for the dig.
Dr. Eliza M. Mosher graduated from U-M in 1875 and later became dean of women and professor of hygiene.
A recently discovered primary-source document providing new information about Detroit's early history is now part of the University of Michigan's William L. Clements Library collection.
David Camp, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1991-2015, has donated the collected materials from his 24 years in office to the Bentley Historical Library.