April 4, 2016
Old school: U-M in History
In this 1924 photo, construction workers are nearing completion on the Law Quad. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
Philanthropy has been critical to the university's growth and impact from its first days. Donors have provided gifts of land, artwork, scientific specimens, books and cash to further the work of students and faculty. Some of the most notable campus landmarks — the Law Quad, the bronze block M, Hill Auditorium and the Diag — were gifts to the university. Michigan fundraising campaigns consistently set records for philanthropy in public higher education.
— Compiled from the University of Michigan Bicentennial website