University of Michigan
News for faculty, staff and retirees

March 21, 2019

U-M encourages university travelers to register when going abroad

April 7, 2016

U-M encourages university travelers to register when going abroad

Headed abroad this summer?

Don’t forget to register your travel on the University of Michigan International Travel Registry on the Global Michigan website.

While registration is required for university-sponsored travel, the registry is open to all faculty, staff and students when traveling out of the country for business, educational programs or a well-earned vacation.

James Holloway, a frequent international traveler, encourages U-M faculty, staff and students to explore outside our national boundaries, but is equally enthusiastic about the International Travel Registry.

“It’s fast. It’s easy. It’s free. And it can be invaluable if something unexpected happens while traveling abroad,” explains Holloway, vice provost for global and engaged education.

“Our goal is to quickly and accurately locate all U-M travelers — regardless of how their travel might be managed or funded. Registration allows us to contact travelers and offer assistance in case of emergencies anywhere in the world.”

The travel registry is the university’s official means for sharing urgent health-, safety- and security-related information. It also provides access to U-M approved travel abroad health insurance. This coverage also includes emergency evacuation in the event of political instability or natural disaster.

Staff members in Holloway’s unit continuously monitor international situations and have the ability to quickly reach out to U-M travelers if needed.

When bombs were set off March 22 in the airport and rail system in Brussels, Belgium, the university was able to determine within minutes that there was a handful of U-M travelers in Brussels, reach out to them through their emergency contacts and determine quickly that all were safe.