December 17, 2015
The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation has supported UM-Flint from its inception. In all, the foundation has granted more than $92 million to U-M for projects at its Flint and Ann Arbor campuses. These funds have supported various projects, programs and initiatives, as well as major capital improvements.
• Charles Stewart Mott pledged a contribution of $1 million in money or land, or a combination of both, if voters approved the $1.6 million bond issue in 1950 to form a four-year university in Flint. The Mott Foundation granted $1.2 million in 1955. The Flint campus was officially established in 1956.
• In 1972, the foundation donated $5 million over five years to build the UM-Flint campus at its current downtown location. The groundbreaking was in Willson Park in 1974. The grant was later increased to $6 million. Funds were used to construct the University Center (Harding Mott Building).
• Subsequent grants in support of UM-Flint include $6 million in 1978 for the Recreation Center; $2.9 million from 1988 to 1990 for the Francis Willson Thompson Library; and $1.9 million in 1991 for the University Pavilion. Between 1994 and 2001, the foundation granted $10.3 million to expand the campus on the north side of the Flint River. This included construction of the William S. White Building.
• Other major grants to U-M include $6 million in 1964 and $25 million in 2005 for the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor.