April 11, 2016
Old school: U-M in History
Since the late 1920s, when this photo was taken, visiting the Nichols Arboretum Peony Garden has become an annual spring pilgrimage for visitors from Michigan and beyond. Many are stunned at the vast display. (Photo courtesy of the Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum)
In 1922, the Board of Regents appropriated $2,000 to establish the Peony Garden. A critically evaluated and large collection of herbaceous peonies was offered to the university by Dr. W. E. Upjohn, a U-M alumnus and founder of the Upjohn Pharmaceutical Co. in Kalamazoo. Upjohn likely contributed peonies from his own extensive collection, and selections from nationally recognized experts. The garden opened to the public in 1927.
— Information courtesy of Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum