April 18, 2016
Old school: U-M in History
The University of Michigan Women's Fencing Club poses for a 1930 photo. View a larger version. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
This year in history (153 years ago)
Baseball was formally introduced among University of Michigan students in spring 1863 by student John M. Hinchman of Detroit, who had been a member of the Detroit Club. Students Oscar P. Bills and E.C. Page laid out a diamond in the northeast part of the campus, and three years later the Board of Regents appropriated $100 for the improvement of the grounds. The batter faced the Medical Building, and many long drives were made in its direction. The game differed considerably: the pitcher was restricted to an underhand delivery, strikes were not called on the batter and bases were not given on balls.
— From "The Michigan Book," available via the HathiTrust Digital Library