March 14, 2016
Old school: U-M in History
The reggae band First Light stops by WCBN-FM, the University of Michigan's free form student-run radio station, in the basement of the Student Activities Building in 1980. Disc jockey Brian Tomsic, left, wears headphones as he stands at the microphone. Click the photo for a larger view. (Photo courtesy of WCBN-FM)
This year in history (106 years ago)
In the late 1800s, grounds maintenance at U-M was the job of a group of loosely organized workers, and janitors worked under the direction of the business office. In 1910, James Marks was appointed the first superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. The focus was to maintain the interiors and exteriors of buildings and deliver coal for heating campus buildings.
— Bentley Historical Library records