November 20, 2017
Topic: Campus News
Provost Martin A. Philbert has appointed an advisory committee in the search for a new dean of the University of Michigan's Rackham Graduate School and vice provost for academic affairs — graduate studies. The search process has begun.
Michael J. Solomon, professor of chemical engineering, currently serves as interim Rackham dean and interim vice provost for academic affairs — graduate studies. Solomon follows Carol A. Fierke, who in June was named provost and executive vice president at Texas A&M University.
Susan Gelman, Heinz Werner Distinguished University Professor of Psychology and Linguistics, and professor of psychology and linguistics, LSA, is chairing the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates to the provost.
Additional committee members include:
• Arun Agrawal, Samuel Trask Dana Professor, professor of environment and sustainability, School for Environment and Sustainability; faculty associate, Center for Political Studies, Institute for Social Research.
• John Carethers, C. Richard Boland Distinguished University Professor of Internal Medicine and Human Genetics, John G. Searle Professor of Internal Medicine, professor of internal medicine and professor of human genetics, and chair of the Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School.
• Laura Kasischke, Allan Seager Collegiate Professor of English Language and Literature, professor of English language and literature, professor in the Residential College, LSA.
• John Kuwada, professor of molecular, cellular and developmental biology, and professor of American culture, LSA.
• Andrew Lowell, postdoctoral research fellow, Life Sciences Institute — Sherman Lab.
• Elizabeth Moje, George Herbert Mead Collegiate Professor of Education, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, professor of education and dean, School of Education; faculty associate, Research Center for Group Dynamics, ISR.
• Juliette Okotie-Eboh, senior vice president, public affairs, MGM Grand Detroit; Rackham Graduate School alumna.
• Angela Violi, professor of mechanical engineering, professor of chemical engineering, professor of macromolecular science and engineering, College of Engineering; professor of biophysics, LSA.
• Deborah Willis, manager of Graduate Student Career Exploration, Rackham Graduate School.
• Naomi Wilson, doctoral student, Educational Foundations and Policy; president, Rackham Student Government.