October 16, 2018
Topic: Campus News
Provost Martin A. Philbert has appointed an advisory committee in the search for a new dean of LSA. The search process is underway.
Elizabeth R. Cole, professor of women’s studies, Afroamerican and African studies, and psychology, currently serves as interim LSA dean. Cole follows Andrew Martin, who in July was named chancellor of Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
In an email to LSA faculty and staff in August, Philbert noted that during Dean Martin’s tenure, many LSA departments continued to be ranked among the very best in the country, with 45 programs among the top 10 and two programs recognized as the best in their fields.
Mark West, dean of the Law School and Nippon Life Professor of Law, is chairing the committee charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates to the provost.
Additional committee members include:
• Tom Baird, assistant dean for advancement, LSA.
• Anne Berg, lecturer IV in history, assistant director of undergraduate studies, LSA.
• Nancy Burns, Warren E. Miller Collegiate Professor of Political Science, professor of political science, and chair of the Department of Political Science, LSA; research professor, Center for Political Studies, Institute for Social Research.
• Andries Coetzee, professor of linguistics and director of the African Studies Center, LSA.
• Dick Costolo, alumnus, Bachelor of Science in computer and communication science, 1985, University of Michigan, LSA; Honorary Doctor of Laws, 2013, University of Michigan, Law School.
• Amy Dittmar, vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs, Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs; professor of finance, Stephen M. Ross School of Business.
• Alec D. Gallimore, Robert J. Vlasic Dean of Engineering, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Professor of Engineering and professor of aerospace engineering, College of Engineering.
• Gottfried Hagen, professor of Turkish studies and chair of the Department of Middle East Studies, LSA.
• Mina Jafari, graduate student, Department of Chemistry, LSA.
• Robert Kennedy, Hobart H. Willard Distinguished University Professor of Chemistry, professor of chemistry, chair of the Department of Chemistry, LSA; professor of pharmacology, Medical School; and professor of macromolecular science and engineering, College of Engineering.
• Ioulia Kovelman, associate professor of psychology, LSA; research associate professor and faculty associate, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research.
• Corrina Lee, undergraduate student, Department of Economics, LSA.
• Derek Peterson, professor of history, and Afroamerican and African studies, LSA.
• Emily Rauscher, assistant professor of astronomy, LSA.
• Kiyoteru Tsutsui, professor of sociology, director of the Center for Japanese Studies, director of the Donia Human Rights Center, LSA.
• Trisha Wittkopp, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Sally L. Allen Collegiate Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, and associate chair for graduate studies in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, LSA.
• Bebe Zuniga-Valentino, chief administrator, Department of Astronomy and Department of Statistics, LSA.