January 31, 2018
Topic: Campus News
June Manning Thomas
Seven faculty members who have received one of the university's top honors will offer Distinguished University Professor lectures this year about their work, starting Thursday.
All lectures will take place in the Rackham Graduate School Amphitheatre beginning at 4 p.m. The University Record will publish a preview of each lecture.
The DUPs and the dates of their lectures are:
• Kent C. Berridge (Thursday), named in 2016 as the James Olds Distinguished University Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience. He also is professor of psychology, LSA.
• Alfred O. Hero (Feb. 6), named in 2016 as the John H. Holland Distinguished University Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. He also is the R. Jamison and Betty Williams Professor of Engineering, professor of electrical engineering and computer science, and biomedical engineering, College of Engineering; professor of statistics, LSA; and co-director of the Michigan Institute for Data Science.
• June Manning Thomas (Feb. 20), named in 2016 as the Mary Frances Berry Distinguished University Professor of Urban Planning. She also is professor of urban and regional planning, A. Alfred Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning.
• Melanie S. Sanford (April 5), named in 2016 as the Moses Gomberg Distinguished University Professor of Chemistry. She also is an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor and professor of chemistry, LSA.
• Valerie J. Traub (Oct. 29), named in 2016 as the Adrienne Rich Distinguished University Professor of English and Women's Studies. She also is the Frederick G.L. Huetwell Professor of English and Women's Studies, professor of English language and literature, and women's studies, LSA.
• Sharon C. Herbert (Nov. 12), named in 2016 as the Charles K. Williams II Distinguished University Professor of Classical Archaeology. She also is professor of classical archaeology and Greek, and research scientist and curator at the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology, LSA.
• Gordon L. Amidon (Nov. 14), named in 2017 as the William I. Higuchi Distinguished University Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences. He also is the Charles R. Walgreen Jr. Professor of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy.