January 4, 2018
Topic: Human Resources
Registration for Active U, MHealthy's 12-week physical activity challenge, is now open. Participants can start tracking their exercise minutes starting Jan. 9.
Last year, more than 11,000 members of the university community participated in Active U. Now in its 13th year, the program has become a mainstay for getting the U-M community moving in the New Year.
"Active U remains popular because it's an exercise program anyone can do," say Colleen Greene, MHealthy senior wellness coordinator. "Set your physical activity goal then get moving in the best way that works for you. Walking, yoga, strength training, swimming, shoveling snow, and even playing tag with the kids all count towards reaching your weekly exercise goal."
A participant's weekly, personal exercise goal is determined during registration and is based on his or her current amount of physical activity. A "successful" week in the program is reaching the personal exercise minutes goal while logging at least 30 minutes per day, at least three days per week.
• New online tracker — Participants have more ways to connect with teammates and friends and can easily access the new site's features from their desktop and mobile device.
• Join or create a team — Choose whether to participate as an individual, join a team or create a team. Team rosters must be set by Jan. 8.
• Sync to more devices — The new tracker now supports more wearable activity trackers and free apps including Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin, Withings, Misfit, MapMyWalk, RunKeeper and more.
• Active U T-shirt — Earn a 2018 T-shirt for successfully completing the program. It is free to employees; there's a small fee for spouses/other qualified adults (OQAs), students and retirees.
• Charity donation — Participants can donate to the U-M Cancer Center.
• Qualifies for Rewards — Benefits-eligible faculty and staff who successfully complete Active U can earn 50 points toward MHealthy Rewards 2018. Look for more information when Rewards launches on Jan. 11.
Active U is open to university faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students, retirees and spouses/OQAs of employees.
Logging exercise minutes starts Jan. 9 and continues through April 2.