University of Michigan
News for Faculty and Staff

March 28, 2017

Old School

March 30, 2015

Blinded by science

A lab accident that blinded Edward Campbell at age 28 did not end his distinguished career as a U-M faculty member.

March 23, 2015

New duties

John Jacob Abel was offered the first professorship of pharmacology in the Department of Medicine and Surgery. He began his new duties in January 1891. In his first lecture he told of his recent visit to Berlin, where he investigated tuberculin, which had been recently introduced to treat tuberculosis.

March 16, 2015

Coaching great

Legendary men's gymnastics coach Newt Loken — winner of two NCAA championships, 12 Big Ten titles and two Coach of the Year awards — leaps to promote the March 1979 Big Ten Championships at Crisler Arena.

March 9, 2015

Music legend

Benny Goodman performs with Big Band on March 22, 1986, in Hill Auditorium, during one of his last public performances.

February 23, 2015

Famous alumni haunt dorms and student rentals

Today’s dorm room was yesterday's home for James Earl Jones, Gilda Radner, Sanjay Gupta and other notable alumni. Gerald R. Ford lived at the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house four decades before becoming the country's 38th president.

February 16, 2015

The Lost Campus

From the mid-1800s to World War I, a dirt road north of campus called The Boulevard provided a great view of campus buildings and the town. The Boulevard is gone now, along with other physical aspects of a U-M campus that is constantly changing.

February 9, 2015

A tradition never broken

The Potawatomi chief Metea was one of the Native Americans who signed the 1817 Treaty of Fort Meigs, which provided a gift of land to the fledgling "University of Michigania."

February 2, 2015

Ready to open

Past University Musical Society President Gail Rector in 1971 stands on stage with technicians at the Power Center for the Performing Arts, just before the center opens for the first time. 

January 26, 2015

Depression Generation

Drake's Sandwich Shop was a popular student hangout during the 1930s, a time when the Great Depression tore a hole in the University of Michigan. 

January 19, 2015

Professor White’s diag

Sunlight filters through the trees of the Diag as a woman passes through in the 1930s. The trees that now grace Central Campus began with the efforts of Professor Andrew Dickson White in the mid-1800s.

Pages