Under the direction of Dr. Thomas Francis, U-M conducted clinical trials in 1954 that confirmed the effectiveness of the polio vaccine developed by Dr. Jonas Salk. The discovery helped to end one of the major medical scourges of the 20th century.
Robben Fleming walks with demonstrators in April 1988, as he returned to U-M to briefly serve as interim president.
The University of Michigan Women's Fencing Club poses for a 1930 photo.
Since the late 1920s, visiting the Nichols Arboretum Peony Garden has become an annual spring pilgrimage for visitors from Michigan and beyond.
In 1924, construction workers neared completion on the Law Quad. Philanthropy has been critical to the university's growth and impact from its first days. Some of the most notable campus landmarks — the Law Quad, the bronze block M, Hill Auditorium and the Diag — were gifts to the university.
Baseball and civil rights legend
Law School alumnus and former U-M baseball coach Branch Rickey, shown here with former Michigan baseball coach Ray Fisher, reshaped the national civil rights conversation and national pastime.
A newsboy wearing the block "M" on his sweater hawks newspapers in front of Nickels Arcade in 1932.
On the air
The reggae band First Light stops by WCBN-FM, the University of Michigan's free form student-run radio station, in the basement of the Student Activities Building in 1980.
Barbour Scholars, like these from 1942-43, are part of U-M's history of international scholarship.
Two-time U.S. Olympian
Michigan alumnus William DeHart Hubbard was the first African-American athlete to win an individual Olympic gold medal, doing so at the 1924 Paris Games in the long jump (24 feet 5 inches).