University of Michigan
News for Faculty and Staff

December 18, 2017

Old School

September 25, 2017

From car bans to driverless vehicles

While U-M is a major research site for auto innovation, cars were not always welcome on the university's campus. In 1925, President Clarence Cook Little instituted a partial, then total ban on student automobiles, which drew protests and attempts to circumvent the rules.

September 18, 2017

Women on the field

In 1971, during an era when women on campus were advocating for inclusion in areas traditionally reserved for men, U-M eliminated its policy that allowed only men to join the Michigan Marching Band.

September 11, 2017

Trial by registration

Although registering for classes now can be accomplished with the click of a button, that wasn't always the case at U-M. Through the 20th century, students lined up at Waterman Gymnasium to finalize their course selections.

September 5, 2017

A heroine etched in stone

In 1862, the university received its first significant work of original art — the marble sculpture of Nydia, the blind flower girl of Pompeii.

August 14, 2017

Medical Miracles

Michigan’s contributions to medicine and public health have saved lives and enriched communities.

July 24, 2017

Revolutionizing information

U-M and its graduates have greatly impacted the sharing of technology.

July 5, 2017

Bold experiment

Women were admitted to the University of Michigan starting in 1870, the first for a large state university.

June 19, 2017

President Harold T. Shapiro's birthday

Harold T. Shapiro, U-M's 10th president, was born on June 8, 1935, in Montreal. During his presidency, which ran from 1980-87, the "theme of quality over quantity, of 'smaller but better' became the guiding principle" in a period of budget reductions.

June 5, 2017

A summer with Shakespeare

A scene from the 2007 Shakespeare in the Arb production of "The Tempest," which will be revived for this year's Shakespeare in the Arb, June 8-25.

May 22, 2017

The iconic Burton Memorial Tower

The Burton Memorial Tower stands over the U-M campus during the summer of 1946. 

Pages