March 16, 2017
The University of Michigan will move forward with a plan to sell the university-owned Inglis House and donate proceeds from the sale to student support through the university's endowment.
The house sits on a 9.1-acre parcel of land adjacent to Nichols Arboretum.
The Board of Regents authorized Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Kevin Hegarty to proceed with selling the house, which has not been used since 2012. The board also approved a motion to invest the proceeds from the sale in the university's endowment in honor of the Inglis family, which donated the property to the university.
The house was built in 1927 and remains configured as a residence. Extensive renovation is needed to bring the facility up to today's standards that would include ADA accessibility, if owned by the university.
The 12,000-square-foot house with adjoining property was donated to the university in 1950 by Elizabeth Inglis following the death of her husband, James Inglis. The property was once used for overnight guests of the university and for small group meetings.