University of Michigan
News for faculty, staff and retirees

December 12, 2018

Old School

October 16, 2017

A branch of connection

Two U-M trees — one on the Medical Campus and one at the North Campus Research Complex — have ties to the tree under which Greek physician Hippocrates allegedly sat centuries ago.

October 9, 2017

From France to U-M's founding

After fleeing the French Revolution in the late 1700s, Father Gabriel Richard came to the United States and eventually made his way to Detroit, where he helped found U-M.

October 2, 2017

The legacy of a flagpole

The flagpole on the Diag can trace its roots back to one of the most historic celebrations of the 19th century — the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.

September 25, 2017

From car bans to driverless vehicles

While U-M is a major research site for auto innovation, cars were not always welcome on the university's campus. In 1925, President Clarence Cook Little instituted a partial, then total ban on student automobiles, which drew protests and attempts to circumvent the rules.

September 18, 2017

Women on the field

In 1971, during an era when women on campus were advocating for inclusion in areas traditionally reserved for men, U-M eliminated its policy that allowed only men to join the Michigan Marching Band.

September 11, 2017

Trial by registration

Although registering for classes now can be accomplished with the click of a button, that wasn't always the case at U-M. Through the 20th century, students lined up at Waterman Gymnasium to finalize their course selections.

September 5, 2017

A heroine etched in stone

In 1862, the university received its first significant work of original art — the marble sculpture of Nydia, the blind flower girl of Pompeii.

August 14, 2017

Medical Miracles

Michigan’s contributions to medicine and public health have saved lives and enriched communities.

July 24, 2017

Revolutionizing information

U-M and its graduates have greatly impacted the sharing of technology.

July 5, 2017

Bold experiment

Women were admitted to the University of Michigan starting in 1870, the first for a large state university.

Pages