According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, influenza vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu. University of Michigan faculty and staff have several options for receiving their flu vaccination on campus this fall.
Michigan Medicine faculty, staff, medical and nursing students, and volunteers can receive free flu vaccinations at health system fairs, through U-M Occupational Health Services in the Med Inn Building or from clinical unit flu liaisons. More information and a list of options will be available later this fall.
For Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campus faculty and staff, MHealthy is offering walk-in flu shot clinics in partnership with Michigan Visiting Nurses.
The clinics, listed below, are for non-Michigan Medicine faculty and staff who work on Ann Arbor’s central, north and south campuses, and the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint campuses. Spouses and other qualified adults (OQAs) are also welcome (must be 18 or older).
Employees and spouses/OQAs covered under a U-M health insurance plan will not be charged an out-of-pocket fee when they bring their insurance card to the clinic. The cost of the flu shot will be charged directly to their health plan. Those not covered under insurance plans accepted at the flu shot clinics can still receive a flu shot for $25 per person. Pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Note, the dates below are for mass clinics. Flu shot clinics scheduled for individual departments and units are not listed.
Ann Arbor campus
(For non-Michigan Medicine employees)
• Sept. 14, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan League, Conference Room 4 (during M Farmers Market)
• Sept. 18, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan Union, Pond Room ABC
• Sept. 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Duderstadt Center, Room 1180 (during M Farmers Market)
• Oct. 9, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Palmer Commons, Great Lakes Central Room
• Oct. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan League, Henderson Room (3rd Floor) (during M Farmers Market)
• Oct. 16, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan League, Michigan Room (in partnership with University Health Service)
• Oct. 18, 9 a.m.-noon, Michigan League, Michigan Room
• Oct. 18, 8 a.m.-noon, Pierpont Commons, East Room
• Oct. 24, 1 p.m.-5 p.m., Michigan Union, Pond Room ABC
• Oct. 26, 4 p.m.-8 p.m., Michigan Union, Wolverine Room (in partnership with UHS)
• Oct. 26, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Duderstadt Center, Room 1180 (during M Farmers Market)
• Nov. 8, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan League, Michigan Room (in partnership with UHS)
• Nov. 14, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Michigan Union, Pond Room ABC (in partnership with UHS)
• Oct. 2, noon-5 p.m., College of Business and College of Education, Health and Human Services Faculty Staff Lounge (2nd floor of Fairlane Center South)
• Oct. 16, 9 a.m.-noon, University Center, Kochoff Hall A
• Oct. 18, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., University Center, Kochoff Hall A
• Oct. 24, noon-5 p.m., University Center, Kochoff Hall A
• Oct. 24, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Harding Mott University Center, Michigan Room D
In addition to the MHealthy/MVN clinics, non-Michigan Medicine employees can also get a flu shot by appointment at the University Health Service or at the office of their primary care provider.
Also, new this year, university faculty and staff now count toward the Ultimate Flu Vaccination Challenge with Michigan State University. Employees who get a flu shot anywhere can complete a brief five-question survey to be counted toward the challenge.