A summary of the recommendations from the Staff Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Report.
1. Incorporate the concerns and aspirations of staff members into the university and local strategic plans for creating a more diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
2. Create a greater understanding of the recruitment, hiring and promotion process aligned with the university’s goals and responsibilities for diversity by investing in and promoting training for individuals responsible for making hiring decisions associated with this process.
3. Increase and broaden institutionwide efforts to emphasize and increase awareness about the value of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
4. Provide a systematic approach to help people learn how to demonstrate respect for one another through education and experiences that deepen knowledge, enhance competency and create an environment that is diverse, equitable and inclusive.
5. Expand and enhance current supervisory and leadership training to include high-quality education and experiences on diversity, equity and inclusion for managers, supervisors and directors.
6. Create a single entity able to receive confidential information, such as an independent ombuds, responsible for coordinating assistance from the various existing resources to help resolve concerns from staff members.