Nine faculty members have received one of the University of Michigan’s top honors as Distinguished University Professors.
The appointments were approved by the Board of Regents on Thursday. They are effective Sept. 1.
Recently appointed DUPs are invited to give an inaugural lecture that highlights their work at the university. The lecture is typically delivered during the first or second full year of their appointments.
The recipients are:
• Joel D. Blum, Jerry Keeler Distinguished University Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences. He also is an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, John D. MacArthur Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, professor of earth and environmental sciences, and professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, LSA.
• Stephen R. Forrest, Peter A. Franken Distinguished University Professor of Engineering. He also is Paul G. Goebel Professor of Engineering, professor of electrical engineering and computer science, professor of materials science and engineering, College of Engineering; and professor of physics, LSA.
• Sharon C. Glotzer, John Werner Cahn Distinguished University Professor of Engineering. She also is the Stuart W. Churchill Collegiate Professor of Chemical Engineering, professor of chemical engineering, professor of materials science and engineering, professor of macromolecular science and engineering, CoE; and professor of physics, LSA.
• Tiya A. Miles, Mary Henrietta Graham Distinguished University Professor of African American Women’s History. She also is professor of Afroamerican and African studies, professor of American culture, professor of history, and professor of women’s studies, LSA.
• Mark E. Newman, Anatol Rapoport Distinguished University Professor of Physics. He also is professor of physics, LSA.
• Dr. Gilbert S. Omenn, Harold T. Shapiro Distinguished University Professor of Medicine. He also is professor of computational medicine and bioinformatics, professor of internal medicine, professor of human genetics, Medical School; and professor of public health, School of Public Health.
• Dr. Peter J. Polverini, Jonathan Taft Distinguished University Professor of Dentistry. He also is professor of dentistry, School of Dentistry; and professor of pathology, Medical School.
• Ronald G. Suny, William H. Sewell, Jr. Distinguished University Professor of History. He also is professor of history, and professor of political science, LSA.
• Sarah G. Thomason, Bernard Bloch Distinguished University Professor of Linguistics. She also is professor of linguistics, LSA.
Distinguished University Professorships, established in 1947, recognize full professors for exceptional scholarly or creative achievement, national and international reputation, and superior teaching skills. Each professorship bears a name determined by the appointive professor in consultation with her or his dean.