Diversity pioneer

Henry Graham, the University of Michigan’s first African-American varsity tennis player, is pictured in a 1928 team photo standing at far right. Click the photo for a larger view. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)

This month in history (65 years ago)

From its inception in the 1920s until his retirement in February 1951, John G. Winter, professor in the Department of Latin and Greek, served as director of the Museum of Classical Archaeology. The archaeological collections at U-M owe their origin and development to Francis W. Kelsey, professor of the Latin language and literature from 1889 until his death in 1927. Kelsey was both zealous and discriminating in acquiring archaeological material from the Mediterranean. In 1928, steps were taken to organize a museum for the care, exhibit and study of the archaeological collections. They had increased markedly due to field excavations in Egypt, organized by Kelsey in 1924.
— From “The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey”



Leave a comment

Commenting is closed for this article. Please read our comment guidelines for more information.