Provost Martin Philbert has named an advisory committee to assist with the search for a new director of the Institute for Social Research.
Thomas Finholt, dean of the School of Information, is chairing the committee. It is charged with conducting a broad search and presenting an unranked slate of recommended candidates. The process is underway.
In an October email to ISR faculty, staff and students, Philbert wrote that Director David Lam would step down June 30, 2020, after completing a five-year term.
Philbert praised Lam for his “outstanding service to the institute’s core missions of research, dissemination, and education. During his tenure at ISR, Professor Lam has been a true champion for social science research and for training the next generation of research scientists.”
Additional members of the search committee include:
- Richard D. Gonzalez, Amos N. Tversky Collegiate Professor of Psychology and Statistics, professor of psychology and statistics, LSA; professor of marketing, Stephen M. Ross School of Business; research professor and director of the Research Center for Group Dynamics, ISR; and professor of integrative systems and design, College of Engineering.
- Robert M. Groves, U-M alumnus; former director of the Survey Research Center, ISR; provost and Gerald J. Campbell, S.J. Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the Department of Sociology, Georgetown University.
- Erin Ice, doctoral student and graduate student instructor, Department of Sociology, LSA; trainee in the Population Studies Center, ISR.
- H.V. Jagadish, Bernard A. Galler Collegiate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, professor of electrical engineering and computer science, College of Engineering; director of the Michigan Institute for Data Science.
- Felix Kabo, assistant research scientist, Survey Research Center, ISR.
- Fiona Lee, Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, associate dean for diversity, equity, inclusion and professional development, and professor of psychology, LSA.
- Margaret C. Levenstein, research professor, School of Information; research professor, Survey Research Center, ISR; research professor and director of the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, ISR.
- Helen G. Levy, research professor, Survey Research Center, ISR; research professor, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy; and research professor in health management, School of Public Health.
- Bhramar Mukherjee, John D. Kalbfleisch Professor of Biostatistics, professor and chair of biostatistics, and professor of epidemiology and global public health, Public Health.
- Jason Owen-Smith, professor of sociology and organizational studies, LSA; professor of public policy, Ford School; executive director of research analytics, U-M Office of Research; research professor, Survey Research Center, ISR; and executive director of the Institute for Research on Innovation & Science.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, Lawrence R. Klein Collegiate Professor of Economics, professor of economics, LSA; research professor and director of the Survey Research Center, ISR.
- Catherine S. Thibault, assistant director for administration, Survey Research Center, ISR.
To nominate prospective candidates or ask questions of the committee, send an email to ISRemail@example.com.