Provost Laurie K. McCauley has named a 15-member advisory committee in the search for the University of Michigan Law School’s next dean.
The committee of faculty, staff, students and alumni has been tasked with conducting a broad search and recommending an unranked slate of candidates to the provost.
The next dean will succeed Mark West, whose term as the Law School dean ends Aug. 31, 2023.
In an email announcing the search, McCauley asked colleagues to consider “key issues that the school will face over the next five to ten years, and important attributes of a new dean.”
The advisory committee will be chaired by Eve Brensike Primus, Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law and director of the Public Defender Training Institute in the Law School.
In addition to Primus, the committee includes:
- Michelle Adams, Henry M. Butzel Professor of Law, Law School.
- Kincaid Brown, director of the Law Library and librarian, Law School.
- Debra Chopp, associate dean for experiential education and clinical professor of law, Law School.
- Matthew Fletcher, Harry Burns Hutchins Collegiate Professor of Law, Law School; professor of American culture, LSA.
- Daniel Fryer, assistant professor of law, Law School; assistant professor of philosophy, LSA.
- Will Hanna, Juris Doctor candidate, Law School.
- Scott Hershovitz, Thomas G. and Mabel Long Professor of Law and director of the Law & Ethics Program, Law School; professor of philosophy, LSA.
- Don Herzog, Edson R. Sunderland Professor of Law, Law School; professor of political science, LSA.
- Aaron Lewis, alumnus; partner, Covington & Burling, LLP.
- Barbara McQuade, professor from practice, Law School.
- Elizabeth Moje, dean and George Herbert Mead Collegiate Professor of Education, School of Education; Arthur F. Thurnau Professor; faculty associate, Institute for Social Research; faculty affiliate in Latino/a studies, LSA.
- Jenny Rickard, project senior manager, Law School.
- Nia Vogel, Juris Doctor candidate, Law School.
- Sarah Zearfoss, senior assistant dean for admissions and financial aid, Law School.
The committee will partner with Rosa Morris and Josh Ward at the executive search firm Korn Ferry, and Heather Mozes, project manager in the Office of the Provost, will provide staff support.
The committee’s first meeting was Nov. 7. To nominate prospective candidates or ask questions of the committee, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the school, go to michigan.law.umich.edu.