School of Music
Eero Saarinen, who designed the School of Music, became ill and died before the school's completion in 1964, the year this photo was taken. Saarinen watched construction from his room in University Hospital. The building brought together school activities that had been spread over 13 buildings.
Jack L. Walker served as director of the Institute of Public Policy Studies from 1974-79. He encouraged faculty to take leaves of absence to serve government agencies. Walker said that when faculty members return, they see ways to improve the curriculum to better prepare students for entry into government.
The University Choral Union performs Handel's "The Messiah" on Dec. 16, 1945, in Hill Auditorium.
Vintage high tech
The Michigan Digital Automatic Computer, pictured in 1954 at U-M’s Willow Run Research Center, was built the previous year with $500,000 of U.S. Air Force funds for Air Force research. It also was available to civilian industry.
Reflecting Progressive Era frustrations with government inefficiency and corruption, Jesse S. Reeves, chair of the U-M political science department, in 1925 proposes America’s first master’s in municipal administration degree.
In November 1918, Ann Arbor residents threw a parade to celebrate the armistice ending World War I.
Valery Gergiev rehearses the Marinsky Orchestra in November 1998 at Hill Auditorium, from a main floor aisle. The orchestra returns in January for two performances and the Ford Honors Program.
A number of international students graduated in the municipal administration degree program in 1927, including Rudolfo Kawi Hidalgo, from Besao in the Philippines. Hidalgo, the son of a rice farmer, went on to represent his district in the Philippine legislature.
U-M law student John C. H. Wu, born China in 1899, at age 22 struck up a friendship with Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes (then 80). Their correspondence over 11 years was published in "Justice Holmes to Doctor Wu: An Intimate Correspondence, 1921-1932."
Midwest side story
Legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein conducted the Vienna Philharmonic in celebration of his 70th birthday and Hill Auditorium's 75th anniversary, on Oct. 29, 1988.