June 26, 2018
The University of Michigan’s Information and Technology Services has redesigned the Michigan App. The upgraded tool is available for download this month from the App Store and Google Play.
“Faculty, staff and students have evaluated the new app and conveyed that it offers timely, daily-life centered content that augments their university experience,“ said Will Burns, manager of the ITS mobile development team.
Beta testing over the past year included a built-in feature for users to offer suggestions, which allowed ITS to assess that feedback and make iterative improvements.
“Simply put, we connected with folks on campus, determined what they needed and added those items,” said Burns.
Months of analysis resulted in several enhanced features, including:
• In-app messages and reminders related to academic life.
• Personalized class schedule information.
• Search based on places (campus buildings) and people (faculty, staff and students).
• Location-based content, like bus stops, parking locations and dining halls
• Featured university events
“Our plan is to continue reviewing app users’ experiences to ensure we are providing content improvements, quick fixes and the latest features for future releases,” said Kevin Jeong, ITS user experience analyst. “We want the Michigan App to be a straightforward, on-hand tool that people can readily use to find what they’re looking for.”