Temperature
30 °F
University of Michigan
News for Faculty and Staff

October 30, 2014

President Ford returns

November 25, 2013

President Ford returns

Old school: U-M in History

Topic: History

In November 1977, alumnus and former President Gerald R. Ford viewed the site and blueprints for the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library on North Campus. Joining him at left was Robert E. Barrett, Ford’s chief of staff; Robert M. Warner, Bentley Historical Library director; and Robben W. Fleming, U-M president. (Photo courtesy Bentley Historical Library)

This month in history (172 years ago)

During the university’s earliest years in Ann Arbor, its library books were kept in one of the professors’ houses. In November 1841, it was resolved to move the library to a large room in the main university building. Among library regulations adopted then by the Board of Regents: “Borrowers of books from the Library are forbidden to write or mark in them or to turn down a leaf.”

— From “The University of Michigan, an Encyclopedic Survey”

 

Tags: Old School

Leave a Comment

Will not be published.