February 3, 2014
Old school: U-M in History
Harlan Hatcher, left, newly invested president of the University of Michigan, is congratulated by Regent Roscoe Bonisteel in 1951. (Photo courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library)
This month in history (52 years ago)
By 1961-62 students were rebelling at obsolete rules of conduct. Dissatisfaction centered on the ban on automobiles, restrictive hours for co-eds and the authority of the offices of the Dean of Men and Women. President Harlan Hatcher appointed a commission to review student policy. By February 1962, the commission was recommending changes, and the administration modified its position in loco parentis and adopted the attitude of European universities toward student behavior outside the classroom. The offices of the Dean of Men and the Dean of Women were abolished.
— “The University of Michigan, An Encyclopedic Survey.”